Recommended Course of Study

In order to receive the Associate of Arts degree, a student is required to either take one year of a foreign language at CEU or receive equivalent credit by taking the CLEP (College Level Examination Program) test in a foreign language administered by the College Testing Center or an approved language test at either Brigham Young University or University of Utah. Students who plan to continue their education at the university level and plan to pursue a degree program in the school of liberal arts are usually required to have two years of a foreign language in order to graduate. The first year of the foreign language requirement may be completed at CEU.


Students continuing their language studies at the university level will find that a major or minor in foreign language is especially well suited for careers in the following areas:

  • Foreign Service Officer Foreign Service Officer
  • Court Interpreter Police Officer
  • Health Service Officer
  • Immigration Inspector
  • Intelligence Specialist
  • Teacher of English/other languages