What is Upward Bound?
THE UPWARD BOUND MISSION
The purpose of Upward Bound is to provide its high school students with the skills and motivation to succeed in and graduate from a college or university of their choice. To that end, Upward Bound has both summer and academic year components.
- Instruction in reading, writing, study skills, and other subjects necessary for success in education beyond high school
- Tutorial services to prepare for or improve SAT and ACT test scores
- Academic, financial or personal counceling
- Career exploration
- Exposure to academic programs and cultural events
- Mentoring programs
- Summer programs where the participants can receive college and high school credits
- Information on college and university opportunities and campus visits to schools in Utah, Colorado, Idaho and Nevada
- Assistance in completing college entrance and financial aid applications
- Assistance in preparing for college entrance exams
Our six-week summer program gives the students an opportunity to see what real campus life is all about. Students will reside in the residence halls on the USU Eastern Price campus. They will attend core study classes that include Language Arts, Math, Science and Foreign Language where they will receive ¼ credit for each subject. Each student will be assigned to a gender specific group of 5-6 students lead by a Residential Team Leader.
Outside of class students will have an opportunity to explore careers in job shadowing, preform community service and of course, interact with other students and experience the college atmosphere.
The Six-Week Summer Program will include:
- Credit for high school and college level courses completed
- College success workshops
- Financial aid and scholarship information
- Opportunities to become leaders and team players
- Community service opportunities
- Help with transitioning from high school to college