About This Degree
We are surrounded by design. Whether it is an app, a car dashboard, a physical product or instructions, users should be able to interact with these items in a way that makes sense. Human Experience Design and Interaction (HEDI) is a new Bachelor of Science degree that emphasizes human-centered design thinking principles. The first of its kind in Utah, a bachelor’s degree in Human Experience Design and Interaction combines design thinking principles with topics of how people learn, technology tools, project management, and data analysis.
Students enhance core requirements by selecting two emphasis areas. Emphasis areas are designed to prepare students for employment and include the following:
- Game studies: Focuses on game-based learning, including eSports, gaming technology and culture as well as educational game design and development.
- Marketing: Provides understanding of marketing fundamentals, research, design, strategy and analysis.
- New venture management: Concentrates on step-by-step new venture development which includes: creating management plans, promotion and branding, financial resources, and optimization.
- Multimedia: Designed for students to produce multimedia computer-based training and instructional materials for fields such as business and industry, government, and education.
- Culturally responsive design: Examines cultural variables of diverse populations for design and learning
- Product development: Explores design principles, aesthetics and digital technologies in the development of products from prototype to production.
- Technical communication: Integrates theories, methods and skills of creating a variety of communication forms from written demonstrations to graphic representations of instruction.
The Emma Eccles Jones College of Education & Human Services may charge differential tuition for this program. Differential tuition is an added cost per credit for courses in the program. See the last page in the USU Tuition & Fee schedule for more information.
View Potential Careers
With a bachelor’s degree in Human Experience Design and Interaction, students may go on to receive graduate degrees or be qualified for careers in the following areas:
- Graphic design
- Multi-media design and development
- Data analytics
- Training and development
- Project management
- Program/product manager
- Technical writing
- Content development
- Game design
- Human-centered design
Course Listing (University Catalog)
To view all degrees and programs available at USU, visit Degree Finder. Please note, not all degrees and programs are available at every location. We recommend searching by location unless you intend on relocating. Contact a Statewide Campuses advisor to verify program availability in your area.
If you are intending to complete this program online outside the state of Utah, please review our state authorizations to see if this program is offered in your state.
Online classes are not available to USU F-1 and J-1 sponsored students. International students sponsored by USU on a F-1 visa can study at Logan or Price campus and must register for face-to-face classes. International students sponsored by USU on a J-1 visa can study at Logan campus and must register for face-to-face classes.