About This Degree
The Department of English is the largest arts and humanities unit on the USU campus and features a wide variety of courses that cover a broad curriculum in literature, creative writing, English education, technical writing, and more. With its small class sizes and nationally published faculty members, the English Department helps students develop skills in analysis, production, and understanding of texts in the English language. Students learn to write, think, and communicate effectively in a technologically and culturally complex world. Students develop skills in the areas most valued by employers, including critical thinking, teamwork, and oral and written communication, which will prepare them to enter into a wide range of career options.
Because the English Department is home to faculty that are heavily involved in research, students are provided with numerous opportunities to pursue undergraduate research projects and creative projects with individual attention from professors.
Students receive a BS by completing all required courses in the major. To receive a BA, students must also gain proficiency in one or more foreign languages.
Emphases (students must choose an emphasis)
- Creative Writing - Gain experience in writing poetry, nonfiction, and creative nonfiction as you develop strong critical and creative writing skills.
- English Teaching or English Teaching Composite - Gain a strong foundation in various topics in English as you prepare to become a middle school and high school English teacher.
- General English - Students take a classes with subjects in literature, creative writing, professional/technical writing, folklore, and/or English teaching.
- Literature - Read, analyze, and research texts and writers in American, British, and other world literature as you develop critical thinking and communication skills.
- Technical Communication and Rhetoric Emphasis - Prepare for various careers in communication as you learn about current communication technology and its various uses.
Students attending one of USU's Statewide Campuses can complete the English Teaching emphasis or the General English major option. Students planning to complete the Creative Writing, Professional/Technical Writing, or Literature emphases must attend classes at the Logan Campus.
- Castle Dale
- Price (USU Eastern)
To view all degrees and programs available at USU, visit Degree Finder. Please note, not all degrees and programs are available at every location. We recommend searching by location unless you intend on relocating. Contact a Statewide Campuses advisor to verify program availability in your area.
View Potential Careers
With a degree in English, students may be qualified for a variety of careers, including:
- Secondary educator
- Technical Writer
- Proposal and grant writer
- Website designer
- Advertising executive
- Freelance writer
- Press aide
- UX/UI designer
- Multimedia specialist
Each emphasis in the English Department also has its own specific job interests:
Literary Studies Emphasis
- Information analyst
- Freelance writing
- Press aid
Professional and Technical Writing Emphasis
- Technical writer
- Grant/proposal writer
- Web master
- Multimedia specialist
- Documentation specialist
- Manual/brochure creator
- Design specialist
English Teaching Emphasis
- Secondary education
Creative Writing Emphasis
- Book critic
Course Listing (University Catalog)
How to Get Started
Connect with a local rep
Tell us about yourself.Get Started
Talk to an advisor
Get help deciding or learn more about degrees and programs.Make an Appointment
You can apply online at any time to Utah State University.Apply Now