Pilling Figurines

Pilling Figurines

 

Pilling Figurines

These figurines were discovered in March, 1950, by Clarence Pilling of Price, Utah in a small side canyon of Range Creek. They have since been called in archeological circles, the “Pilling Figurines.” The rock overhang where they were found is also known as Pilling’s Cave and shelters an irregular area about 100 feet long with a maximum width of 12 feet, and contained, besides the eleven figurines on a natural shelf at the back, a ruined oval room about 10x6 which appears to have had a stone foundation and wooden superstructure, some of the poles of which showed evidence of stone tools. On the cave wall behind the room is a pictograph in white paint 3 1/2 inches high of a trapezoid-shaped figure. Other artifacts noted were a trough metate (grinding stone) and a single piece of grey pottery.


Printable Information Sheet